Brief description of the technology solution and the added value it provides
Accessible Launcher is a multi-app that converts the tablet or mobile phone interface in a simplified equivalent adapted to disabled persons
The Life Supporting Technologies laboratory of the Technical University of Madrid has developed under its digital inclusion branch a set of apps that improve the way older people without technical experience or with visual or severe motor impairments, make use of technologies and communication services.
Accessible Launcher is based on the evolution and maturation of these apps to create a launcher application that can be installed on any Android device. This app completely replaces the interface and interaction mode for a simplified and adapted version of it that will allow anyone to have access to new technologies and make effective use of them. They are also offered system extensions on demand by the user to provide access to social networks, newsletters, etc. as well as a wide range of utilities always adapted and designed for an easy and safe use.
Description of the technological base
Accessible Launcher is an app that turns a phone or tablet into a universally accessible tool. Once installed, it replaces the native Android system interface for simple, comfortable and direct equivalent.
It also implements accessible interaction mechanisms so that blind or older people, or those with severe motor impairments can make effective use of mobile and tablet devices, as well as a set of utilities that replace the pre-installed on the device (address book, calendar, messaging …) and extend its functionality (access to social networks, information services, Internet …).
The techniques used have been validated by testing users, experts and awarded internationally.
“We create accessible mobility tools using latest generation technologies under guidance and validation of disabled people”
- Decrease in consumption of traditional media in favor of digital [Business Insider].
- Increased consumption of online services by 50% in 5 years [ICU, Google].
- Only 3 of the 100 most visited websites are accessible [W3C].
- Sales of smartphones and tablets double those of PCs. By 2016, they will have quadrupled them [Gartner, IDC, Strategy Analytics, Business Insider].
- Content consumption in tablets and desktops are similar in 98% [Flurry Analytics].
- Only 1% of published apps follow specifications of accessible design.
Accessibility and digital inclusion
- The penetration of web and mobile technologies declines significantly (to 28%) for users over 54 years [Nielsen].
- Disabled and technical illiterates are at risk of digital exclusion. They are approximately 300 million people in developed countries [CIA World Factbook 2012].
“The accessibility market represents about 1,400 million dollars annually in the US. Spanish state aid means more than 40 million €”
- Excellent results in performance and usability in tests with different users of a wide range of impairments.
- Solution finishes and performance optimized
- Smart scalability and integration with the latest technologies.
- Adaptation and configuration according to the users characteristics and needs.
- Research team with a wide experience in the industry and proven results in European projects (SaveMe, AEGIS, Cloud4All…).
- Prototypes tested by 700 users in five months.
- Recognition of the initial prototypes, two of them internationaly (Vodafone Smart Accessibility Awards in 2012).
- Collaboration with Vodafone (marketing aid and support inclusion in the proposed Mobile Apps 4 Good, sponsored by Sony).
- Appearance in at least 6 media and specialized press (The Guardian, ABC …).
- Lab Prototype
- Industrial Prototype
Contacto Accessible Launcher
Miguel Páramo Castrillo
María Teresa Arredondo
Life Supporting Technologies
Área de Innovación, Comercialización y Creación de Empresas
Centro de Apoyo a la Innovación Tecnológica – UPM